On Friday, June 1, the United States Army preferred amended and additional charges against .
The charges allege Staff Sgt. Bales violated the following provisions of the Uniform Code of Military Justice:
- Article 118- sixteen specifications of premeditated murder
- Article 80- six specifications of attempted premeditated murder
- Article 128- seven specifications of assault
- Article 112a- two specifications of wrongfully possessing and using a Schedule III controlled substance (steroids)
- Article 92- one specification of wrongfully consuming alcohol while deployed.
The amended charges, which include reducing the number of premeditated murder victims from 17 to 16, conform to developments in the ongoing investigation surrounding Staff Sgt. Bales’ alleged crimes on March 11, 2012.
Staff Sgt. Bales is currently in pretrial confinement at the Midwest Joint Regional Correctional Facility at Fort Leavenworth, KS.
The pending charges are merely accusations; the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- Department of Defense