The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties – of which our Lakewood Y is a branch – has been rebuilding its website. As a webmaster I have noticed the subtle changes over the last month or so. The site now invites a browser to explore programs for each branch while maintaining a simple, unified look. It works well, for as one digs deeper, they are rewarded with details.
Just recently, the “volunteer” section went online and, like the rest of the site, it permits the explorer to discover opportunities for the branch of their choosing. Snipped from the website is what our Lakewood Y is seeking…..
Volunteers at our Lakewood Family YMCA have the opportunity to serve the needs of YMCA members, families and children in the greater Lakewood community.
To get started, join one of our volunteer orientations on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 5:30pm in the Chapel. Please bring a completed volunteer application with you to the orientation.VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Group exercise: Lead any of a variety of exercise classes for groups of members.
- Pilates instructor: Lead adult Pilates classes for groups of members.
- Spin instructor: Lead spin class for groups of adult members.
- Weight room attendant: Oversee weight room activities, assist members as needed, and report misuse or abuse to staff.
- Yoga instructor: Lead yoga classes for groups of adult members.
- Preschool swim instructor: Assist/Teach swim fundamentals to children in groups, 4-6 years.
- Swim team coach: Assist/Coach children ages 6-18 years, developing competitive swimming skills.
- Water aerobics instructor: Lead water aerobics for groups of adult members.
- Swim instructor: Assist/Teach swim fundamentals to children ages 8 months-13 years. Volunteers with limited or no experience will be teamed with a trained instructor. Choice of age groups available: tiny tot, preschool and youth.
- Equipment cleaner: Help preserve the quality of equipment through proper cleaning procedures.
New Look to the YMCA Website
- Tour guide: Introduce potential members to the YMCA by guiding them through our facilities and helping them find programs to fit their needs.
- Welcome Center: Greet members, fold towels and respond to members’ requests.
- Volunteer to coach the Otters Special Olympics team or to assist with our youth adaptive programs, serving exceptional children.
- Present openings for volunteers with our adaptive programs:
- Summer teen volunteer program: Volunteer in half-day and full-day programs and sport clinics. Lots of fun and opportunities to meet other teens under the guidance of college age leaders.
- Download the Summer Teen Volunteer Program application.
- Dance instructors: Lead children’s dance classes, ages 3 years and up. Classes include ballet, jazz, tap, hip-hop, modern, lyrical, and creative movement.
- Gymnastics instructors: Lead children of all ages in gymnastics classes. Class encompasses all gymnastics events, trampoline, strength and flexibility training, and games.
- Sport instructor: Assist or teach various sports to youth ages 3-10. Great athleticism not required.
- Sports league attendant: Coach, scorekeeper, or officiate in year-round leagues. Flag football, basketball and indoor and outdoor soccer.
So seriously, with volunteer opportunities offered at the Y that fit into just about every interest, and scheduled orientations to get you started, even the most time-strapped adult should be able to find the time to make a difference in the life of a kid.