Authorities Charge Thomas Lee Oyen For Shooting At Lakewood Officers

The 28-year-old allegedly shot at officers as they responded to a call Monday at his Woodbrook home.

On Tuesday, Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist charged Thomas Lee Oyen, 28, with first-degree assault for shooting at Lakewood Police police officers.

The defendant was arrested after a lengthy stand-off, during which he told his girlfriend that he shot at the officers because of her.

"This is another reminder of the danger law enforcement officers face everyday," said Prosecutor Lindquist. "The defendant's actions put lives at risk and he will be held fully accountable." 

On Monday, at about 12:30 a.m., Lakewood Police officers went to the Woodbrook neighborhood after receiving reports of gunfire. Dispatchers said there had been a domestic violence related 911 call coming from a house in the neighborhood and a woman was leaving with a child. When the officers arrived at the scene, gunshots erupted from a mobile home on the same property as the house. Officers took cover behind their cars and nearby trees.

They could hear bullets buzz past them.

Soon after the shots were fired, Oyen's girlfriend approached police and told them she was the woman who had fled earlier and that Oyen was armed with a Glock 9mm pistol.

While she was talking with police, Oyen called his girlfriend and told her he "shot at the pigs" because of her. Several more gunshots came from the trailer while officers took up positions around the house. Eventually Oyen emerged from the trailer, verbally challenging the officers. The officers used a less than lethal weapon to subdue him and take him into custody. 

The defendant was arraigned today in Pierce County Superior Court. The Court set bail at $500,000. 

Charges are only allegations and a person is presumed innocent unless he or she is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. 

David Anderson July 09, 2013 at 06:24 PM
But, once again I point out that, three recent weapon incidents requiring Lakewood police response leave one dead, one sought, and one arrested. All three not only with different weapons involved and obviously different situations but different call durations, and quite apparently different protocols and, again, different outcomes. Why? And will we, the protect-and-serve public, get answers?On June 18, in an attempt to pick up a fellow for a felony warrant in Tillicum, Lakewood police shoot dead the individual who refused to put down – after repeated commands to do so – what turned out to be a cap pistol. On July 7, responding to what turned out to be a superficial knife wound, Lakewood police negotiate for five hours with the suspect who wasn’t there and who evidently remains at large. Now on July 8, after being fired upon, Lakewood police negotiate surrender by phone. Why is there such a huge disparity in how these incidents are handled?
Dane Ferrell July 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Has Lindquist been asked why the police are not held accountable when they shoot innocent people stand a 50/50 chance of being shot by a cop nowadays.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »