, home of the Warriors, was formed on June 28, 1938. The public held a ceremony recognizing it as the first high school in the Clover Park School District.
The growth in the Lakes District was a result of the World War II military boom. Classroom sizes in Tacoma grew too large. Soon, high school students would remain in Lakewood after attending local elementary and middle schools.
The 1938 high school building was designed by Charles V. Rueger and built by the Joseph Potucek Co. The facility saw upgrades by adding wings and additional buildings.
Throughout the war years, construction sought to keep up. There was a need for more buildings. Even when the war ended and soldiers associated with Fort Lewis found themselves in the civilian world, the high school was crowded. The communities' growth was outpacing the school's expansion.
The need to provide more classrooms got louder around 1951. would open its doors a decade later, but that story will come next week.
The 1978 levy failure seemingly halted repairs, but a fire at the high school two weeks later brought renovations that a ballot measure couldn't. One wing of the original school is now used as the district's Student Services Center. Another fire in 1981 brought a new athletic gym, business section and a music center.
News spread in 2003 about the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation providing funding for the school to enhance its goals and personalized education. It now enrolls some 1,100 students.
Editor’s note: Patch will feature a history tale about Lakes High School next week.