Editor’s note: Every week, Patch will use five questions to profile a local student who has accomplished something awesome, whether it be serving in a leadership role; scoring the winning touchdown or earning an Eagle Scout badge. There are some great kids in our community, and we want to celebrate them!
This week, meet Laususuga "Suga" Iopu, 18, a senior at Clover Park. Suga was recently selected as her school's 2013 Daffodil Princess.
1. What are some of your accomplishments that make you our Student of the Week? I was recently selected as Clover Park's Daffodil Princess, and I am also Senior class president. I am the leader of Clover Park's Pacific Islanders Club and a youth leader at Life Center South Church.
I am also a committee chair for a new Pacific Islander community group called Tautua. Our mission is to enhance the faith, education and dreams of high-school Islanders who had stereotypes hold them back from achieving their goals. This group started with 10 people and over the course of four months has grown to about 100.
2. What are your future plans? I hope to attend either Whitworth University or the University of Washington to major in criminal justice/law and minor in religous studies. I'm a fan of the tv show "Criminal Minds" and realized that being in the FBI is something that I want to do.
3. Who is someone that you admire? My freshman teacher, Ms. (Angie) Robles, for whom I gave been a teacher's assistant the past two years. She is such a great role model and has helped me throughout my high-school career. Ms. Robles puts her heart into her students and has truly touched many of their lives – including mine.
4. In 10 years, I will be … a graduate of either Whitworth University or the University of Washington with a degree in criminal justice/law and pursuing my dream of being in the FBI.
5. One of my hidden talents is … my passion: island dancing. I have been doing Samoan and other Pacific Island dances since I was a little girl. I fell in love with my cultural dances and will never stop dancing!